Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Obsidian Threads by Charlie Pulsipher

Today I have the chance to introduce you to Charlie. He's one of my favorite people! And his books are super awesome. He just had Obsidian Threads come out and I think you'll really enjoy it!



Here is the synopsis:


Book Blurb/Synopsis: Rho has awakened. Its acolytes will tear worlds apart to release their deity from its prison. Any hope of Rho's defeat lies with two people lost in a strange universe. Kaden and Aren must learn to harness all their unique gifts if they are to rival the god of darkness reborn.

They will not fight alone. A brilliant geneticist, a furry dwaro, two less than friendly elves, dragons, and a spunky red-haired computer stand with them. But if Kaden and Aren fail to reach their full potential, all of reality will be devoured until nothing remains but Rho.



Purchase Links:


Now for the fun! It's time for the interview:


What inspired you to write this series?

Dreams, all dreams. I had a dream where one company’s use of simulations began reaching into other worlds. Ghostly creatures, including long extinct dinosaurs, roamed the halls. But these simulations were doing damage to the fabric of the universe and the creatures began to be more real, more solid. I then had another dream where I could travel to alternate worlds by simply pulling up images of them in my head. The first world held trees the size of skyscrapers, buzzing red fireflies, and a spinning, red nebula that shot through the sky. It also happened to have giant, silver tigers that wanted to eat me. I woke up sweating. I combined the two dreams and the stories seemed to write themselves.

What's your favorite part of writing?
The zone. There are times when everything click and the words flow out as though the characters are in the same room with me, talking, running for their lives, and fighting off the villains. I like that place. I wish I could get there more often.

What's your least favorite part of writing?

I strongly dislike feeling lost in the huge sea of voices. Writers work for years to prepare our stories. We dump so much of ourselves into them. Then we toss them out and hope people find them. It happens slowly and it can be very lonely waiting to be liked.

Is there a character that you totally relate to?

All my characters have little pieces of me in them, even the villains. They aren’t the same pieces as I don’t want them to be similar, but those distinct bits of myself make it hard to pick favorites. Having said that, it’s totally Penny, my red-haired AI. She surprised me. She appeared on the page unplanned and then stole her identity from one of my villains. She is spunky, fun, emotional, feisty, and so loyal. She and I would so be friends.

If you could have a super power, what would it be?

Super typing? I have literally hundreds of story ideas that need to be written and my poor little fingers and my poor little brain can’t keep up. If that is too writerly of a superpower, then I would pick being able to open any door to any location of my choosing at any time. I like traveling, but I dislike the traveling part of it.

If you could travel anywhere in time, where would you go?

So going a good hundred years or so into the future! I need to know what happens next and the slow way is sooooooo slow. I want to know all about the cool new inventions. I want self-driving cars, nanowired t-shirts, metamaterial buildings, space elevators, asteroid colonies, and so much more. Make it happen for me, please.

Do you ever use friends or family in your books as characters?

Yes, but only pieces of them, much I like I do with myself. I did make the mistake of having a character share one of my brothers’ name. I may or may not have killed that character off later. It also may or may not have gone over all that well, even though I swear I did not think of my brother at all in the creation or termination of that character. If anything, it was more like a roommate I had with the same name. Oh well. I’ve learned to be more careful.

Thanks, Charlie!

No comments:

Post a Comment